The parish is happy to welcome its youngest members
in the Sacrament of Baptism.
The procedure for Baptism of infants through age six is as follows:
- Parents are asked to visit the rectory to register for baptism.
Select godparents who meet the following canonical qualifications:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be fully initiated in the Catholic Church (Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist)
- Be living a sacramental life, which includes regular participation at Mass.
- It is necessary to have at least one godparent. There are times when parents can choose one Catholic godparent and then one Christian witness, who is a practicing member of a protestant religion.
- Godparents need to obtain a Letter of Eligibility from the parish in which they are currently registered and participating, stating that they meet the above criteria.
- Parents are expected to attend one preparation session before the baptism of their first child. These sessions are held on the fourth Sunday of the month (except in December), at 10:00 am, in the West wing of the Parish Center.
- The sacrament of Baptism itself is celebrated on the first three Sundays of the month at 1:30pm.
“Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ and incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church #1213)
Children older than seven years of age are invited to participate in the RCIA process adapted for children. The children are enrolled either in SS. Simon and Jude School or PREP (the Parish Religious Education Program). They are also asked to participate in special sessions with a parent and Sr. Barbara Jude on Thursday evenings from 6 to 7 pm in the St. John Neumann Room in Monihan Hall.
Adults interested in being baptized or making a profession of faith as a Catholic are invited to participate in the RCIA process. The sacraments of initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist are celebrated each year at the Easter Vigil.
Interested adults are invited to participate in on-going Inquiry Sessions at 7:00 pm, on the second Wednesday of each month in the Welcome Center in Church.